Me? Sit down

I am a Gamileraay woman who wants to leave this world better than it was when I arrived but we are going backwards which makes me angry and the result is I have a lot to say and sometime, the truth makes me unpopular.

I am also a suffering optimist, I try to see positivity in things but find that is generally only my family that provides the positivity in an otherwise politically depressing world.

Stick around and nod your head, join the discussion and give me a piece of your mind.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/nataliecromb

Monday 1 June 2015

Australia is racist

AUSTRALIA IS RACIST.

Let me repeat myself. Australia is racist.

This country has always been racist and, if the last 72 hours is any indication, it always will be.

You see, this incredibly talented athlete celebrated on-field success with a celebratory dance. The dance was an Aboriginal dance and the game was during the Indigenous round so, you know, the time for showcasing your culture would be then, right?

Wrong.

What was an appropriate cultural celebration of success on the field for a proud Indigenous man became offensive for those who like people to express their culture in a manner deemed appropriate by the dominant white discourse (read: never).

But this is one moment of many experienced by a man who is both proud and free-thinking; who is strong and responsible; who continues to speak the truth despite the numerous barbs he receives week in and week out.

The fact is, when black people come out of the box that white people so love to place them in, it creates cultural dissonance.

Why?

Australia is racist.

To read the rest of this piece, please follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment