Me? Sit down

I am a Gamileraay woman who wants to leave this world better than it was when I arrived but we are going backwards which makes me angry and the result is I have a lot to say and sometime, the truth makes me unpopular.

I am also a suffering optimist, I try to see positivity in things but find that is generally only my family that provides the positivity in an otherwise politically depressing world.

Stick around and nod your head, join the discussion and give me a piece of your mind.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/nataliecromb

Monday 1 June 2015

Racism..................

To all the those who think their racist tweets and messages hurt me and to all those who call me a trouble maker for telling it how it is:
 
I’m sorry if you’re offended. Really, I am. I realise pointing out racism is incredibly rude.
I’m sorry that telling you that you are racist is offensive to you, because I assure you, I find your racism offensive too.
 
I’m sorry that educating you on white privilege is something that you are uncomfortable hearing about but I really thought you ought to know given that you considered you, as a white (and privileged) person, were in a position to comment on whether a comment is racist or not. You would know right?
 
If you have friends, or know someone black, and were nice to them – you are perfectly placed to comment on whether a comment is racist or not? Oh you know someone who is black that wasn't offended? So it mustn't be racist right?

Encounter a colonised mind and all of a sudden, that is grounds for a comment not being offensive. Got it.

Starting to understand the Warren Mundine and Tony Abbott bromance even more now.
I'm sorry, I have no idea you were so knowledgeable on all things racial. Let me just take a seat so I can take this in.

I'm sorry, I should have deferred to your wisdom on this instead of my own lived experiences.

I’m sorry that telling you how you are directly and materially benefiting from the invasion and theft of this nation makes you feel like the victim, I really don’t mean to make you feel uneasy; you’ve been through enough fighting for your place in the world right?

How dare concepts such as equal opportunity disadvantage you for being white. Yep, you called it – reverse racism. Oh a black person told you there is no such thing as reverse racism? What would they know? They’re black and being racist against you because you tried to tell them that you are not socially, educationally and economically advantaged as a white person.

I’m sorry that I was offended when you suggested I take advantage of my fair skin and “just be white” because, after all, you were being helpful right? That was pretty rude of me to rebuff such a helpful suggestion and even ruder to tell you that you’re racist.

Sorry that I’m a trouble maker, out to upset the apple cart and undermine the patriarchal capitalism that pervades every aspect of society in this nation.

I’m sorry that you would really rather I let casual racism slide and stop being so ‘politically correct’ but, you see, I belong to a race of people that have an honour system unparalleled and we tend not to walk past injustice – we tend to call it out and do something about it.

Starting to understand why we’re called troublemakers?

No comments:

Post a Comment